Contenuto principale della pagina Menu di navigazione Modulo di ricerca su uniPi Modulo di ricerca su uniPi

Student exchange programme

The Student Exchange Programme applies to international students planning to spend a period at the University of Pisa to attend degree programmes or carry out internships, according to inter-university or inter-departmental agreements. The Student Exchange Programme is not included in the Erasmus+ mobility framework.

To join in the Erasmus+/Erasmus Programme mobility, students can find all the information on the specific pages and web Portal.

The Italian language proficiency (at least B1 level) is recommended to attend degree programmes held in Italian, unless otherwise stated in the relevant agreement.

Admission to the programme

To join the Student Exchange Programme, students must be enrolled in a foreign university having a bilateral agreement with the University of Pisa.

Stay period at the University of Pisa

Exchange students are allowed to attend educational activities at the University of Pisa for the duration set by the relevant agreement


Application submission has no deadline but for educational activities attendance please note our Academic Calendar schedule is the following:

I semester: from September to February

II semester: from February to July

Hence, you are highly recommended to submit your application by 31 May (to attend the first semester or the whole academic year) and by 31 October (to attend the second semester) to allow the departments the period required to process the Programme acceptance letter.

Exchange Programme application procedure

Before departure

Applicants must contact the International Office of their home university in order to check if any agreement with the University of Pisa or with the relevant Department is in force. If the agreement includes the mobility, applicants must select the courses among those available in the UNIPI educational activities list.

To apply, please email to Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo. the following documents:

  1. The application form along with the signed Learning Agreement 
  2. Certification of all passed exams at your home university (Transcript of Records)
  3. Copy of identity document (passport in the event of non-EU students)

Selected candidates will receive an Acceptance Letter from the academic staff of the relevant Department of the University of Pisa.

In case you are a non-EU citizen residing abroad (NON Schengen country), in order to get an entry VISA, you firstly have to register and apply on the UNIVERSITALY Portal. Register all requested data and upload the exchange Acceptance letter received from the University of Pisa and the application form along with the Learning Agreement signed from both Universities. (Leave blank the tax code if you do not have it and the ID account at the chosen University).

Your application on Universitaly portal will be checked by the University of Pisa and then by the Italian Embassy/Consulate you indicated so you will be able to apply for the Italian Visa.

You will receive a notice by the Universitaly portal when we will validate your application and you will find the Summary in pdf of your application on the portal, by using your credentials. Please print the Summary, as you need it when you will apply for the visa at our Embassy.

For general information about requesting an entry visa, please visit: For all details please contact the Italian Embassy/Consulate in your Country of residence.

In case you live in a Schengen Country, please follow instructions at this page.

At the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence, you can also apply for an Italian Tax Code (codice fiscale). The tax code is one of the required documents to get the residence permit (Permesso di Soggiorno), to rent a room, to open a bank account.

Before travelling to Italy, please do the test at this webpage. If, according to the test and rules, at your arrival in Italy, you must self-isolate for 14 days, informing local Toscany Region Health Authorities of your presence in Italy and Tuscany, please register on the Regional HEALTH Center by filling the form at this page.

Upon arrival in Italy

For non-EU citizens, residing outside European Schengen Countries, who are going to carry out a mobility period of more than 90 days (or, in any case, holding a type D VISA): the application for a residence permit is required within 8 working days from their arrival in Italy. All information (including health care services and tax code) is available on the specific web pages for international students.

For non-EU citizens, residing in Schengen Countries, holding an unexpired VISA and / or residence permit of the Schengen Country they come from and provided with the Acceptance Letter as exchange students: within 8 days from their arrival in Italy, they must go to the Police Headquarters of Pisa in Via Lalli 3 and fill in the declaration of presence (link to

Enrolment procedure at the University of Pisa as an exchange student

Register on the Alice Web Portal of the University of Pisa, entering your personal data, and then email to Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo. the following documents:

  • Copy of identity document (passport for non-EU students)
  • Acceptance letter from the receiving Department
  • Residence permit or copy of the postal receipt certifying the submission of the residence permit application (only for non-EU citizens being already in Italy)

After the enrollment is completed, candidates already in Italy will receive the student card by mail. To this aim, the Italian address (residency or domicile) should be provided during the registration on the Alice web portal, after the reception of UNIPI credentials to access the personal page.

Rights, duties and services

As an exchange student:

  • you are entitled to take exams and acquire credits without paying university fees. At the end of the study period you will receive the certificate of the work carried out;
  • you must personally arrange your stay in Pisa (food, accommodation, health care, etc.);
  • you can benefit from the same services as standard students enrolled at the University of Pisa (enrollment in language courses at the University Language Center, access to university libraries, IT services and university canteens);
  • you can access to the welcome and assistance service upon your arrival in Pisa at the Welcome Office of the University of Pisa.

Info and contacts

International Relations Office
International Promotion Unit
Lungarno Pacinotti, 44 - 56126 Pisa
e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.     


Ultima modifica: Lun 22 Mag 2023 - 14:23

Questo sito utilizza solo cookie tecnici, propri e di terze parti, per il corretto funzionamento delle pagine web e per il miglioramento dei servizi. Se vuoi saperne di più, consulta l'informativa