Contenuto principale della pagina Menu di navigazione Modulo di ricerca su uniPi Modulo di ricerca su uniPi

Visa and Residency Permit

Non-EU citizens are allowed into Italian territory only if they have a valid passport and an entry visa.
For any stay longer than 90 days, non-EU students must have a visa obtained from the Italian embassy or consulate from the country of residence.

If you are an incoming EU Erasmus student, please review the following link.

If instead you are an incoming Non-EU Erasmus student, enrolled in a university degree, who has a valid residency permit and visa for STUDY reasons which has been issued by the European Schengen country where you are enrolled, then you may be allowed to enter Italy for a stay longer than 90 days without an Italian visa as long as the following applies:

a) you are currently participating in a European exchange programme (Erasmus or else);

b) you already have the documentation which comes from the University of the EU country in which you are studying, and it is clearly stated that the new study programme which you intend to do in Italy is in addition to the study programme you have already done in the EU Country;

c) your Schengen residency permit and/or visa, issued by the European Schengen country where you are enrolled, is valid for the duration of your stay in Italy.

Please note that non-EU Erasmus students who come from Schengen countries can only be exempt from an Italian entry visa.

Non-EU Erasmus students, within the first 8 working days after arrival, must go to the Questura (Police Headquarters), located in Via Lalli 3, and fill in the “dichiarazione di presenza” (declaration of presence). General information is available at where the students can see the form to be filled in too.

For any doubts, please contact the Italian Embassy/Consulate in the country where you reside/study.

At the Italian Embassy/Consulate you will be able to have the Italian personal tax code (codice fiscale), a code which consists of letters and numbers and that uniquely identifies the subjects within the Italian State, in particular regarding tax and administrative matters. It is necessary to have a tax code in order to access the services of public entities (e.g.: to enroll at the University and the National Health Service), to enter into a contract (e.g.: employment or rent), to open a bank account, but also to buy a phone card.

Finally, if you are an incoming Non-EU Erasmus student, coming from a Non-Schengen country:

    • for a stay in Italy longer than 90 days, according to your Learning Agreement, you must request a Visa at the Italian Embassy  in the country where you are studying. Once you arrive in Italy, you must apply for the Residency Permit;
    • for a maximum stay of 90 days, please check the list of countries whose citizens are exempt from the visa requirement.

More details are available at:


Info and Contacts:

Dott. Mauro Mazzotta
International Office
University of Pisa
Lungarno Pacinotti, 44 - 56126 Pisa
e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.

Ultima modifica: Gio 26 Set 2019 - 09:02

Questo sito utilizza solo cookie tecnici, propri e di terze parti, per il corretto funzionamento delle pagine web e per il miglioramento dei servizi. Se vuoi saperne di più, consulta l'informativa