Contenuto principale della pagina Menu di navigazione Modulo di ricerca su uniPi Modulo di ricerca su uniPi

Visa for accompanying family members

Visas for accompanying family members (“familiari al seguito”) allow a non-EU citizen to enter Italy accompanied by his/her family members.

Even those who hold a study visa, in the cases and conditions foreseen by law, can apply for visas for accompanying family members.

However, before applying for visas for accompanying family members, it is necessary to apply for the authorization called “Nulla Osta” to SUI, Sportello Unico Immigrazione (the Single Immigration Desk) of the Prefecture of the City where you are going to stay.

The request for the authorization for the accompanying family member has to be done electronically (after the non-EU citizen has registered himself/herself and obtained an electronic ID called SPID identity) on the website of the Ministry of the Interior by the non-EU citizen himself. The procedure is in Italian language.

Alternatively, if the applicant is abroad, he/she can make use of a proxy and apply for the authorization through the Patronati offices (workers unions’ offices). The proxy may be an Italian or foreign colleague, already in Pisa, with a regular and valid residency permit. For information on how to carry out the proxy, we suggest you to contact the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your Country or one of the Patronati offices in Italy suggested below.

Please note that it is not easy to obtain the authorization for an accompanying family member, so it is highly suggested to contact the Embassy or Italian Consulate in your Country of residence well in advance. The Italian Embassy will give you all further information and useful suggestions. The list of Italian Embassies/Consulates is available at this page

Please bear in mind that the following documents/proofs (at the very least) will be required in order to obtain the authorization for an accompanying family member:

  • Annual minimal income: has to derive from legal sources and has to be no lower than the annual amount of Italian social allowance (in 2022 equal to euro 6.079,45 per annum), plus half of the amount of the social allowance per family member. If the income is earned abroad, the income statement must be translated and legalized by the competent Italian consular diplomatic representation;
  • Accommodation (in Italy) has to be consistent with house building standards. In order to prove this, a certificate from either the Italian Local Authority Office (Ufficio comunale) or a certificate of sanitary and hygienic suitability from the Asl (the Italian Health District in the town where you will be staying) needs to be released.
    Documentation required for accommodation:
    • Copy of lease agreement, loan for free use or title deed of the accommodation;
    • Suitability of accommodation, namely the certificate released by the Local Authority Office, attesting that your place of stay abides by the minimal standards according to the regional law concerning public/private housing.
  • Certificate from the Registry Office (in your home Country) stating your family relationship. The certificate has to be translated, legalised and validated by the Italian Consular Authority of the applicant's home country/country of origin.

As for the accommodation, if you are abroad, we suggest you to book for at least one month a residence or hotel structure in Pisa.

Suggested accommodation:

Residence Le Benedettine (Foresteria dell’Università di Pisa)
Residence Tulipan

Further suggestions at this link.

Patronati offices (workers unions’ offices) suggested in Pisa:

Patronato ACLI, Via Francesco da Buti 20, tel. 050.913108, e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.  
Patronato INCA, Viale Bonaini 71, tel. 050.515217, e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.  

After examining the application for authorization of accompany family members, if successful, the delegate will be summoned by the Sportello Unico Immigrazione (Single Immigration Desk) to collect the Nulla Osta (authorization), which he/she will then forward to the non Eu citizen still abroad. At the same time, the Single Immigration Desk will forward the Nulla osta authorization to the Italian Embassy/Consulate in the Country where the non-Eu citizen reside so that he/she can finally apply for the accompanying family member visa.

Please bear in mind that only after having received the nulla osta (authorisation), it is possible to apply for an accompanying family member visa.

After obtaining the visa, once having arrived in Italy, non-EU citizens must apply for the residency permit within the first 8 days after their arrival.

Info and contacts

Ufficio per le Relazioni Internazionali
Unità Promozione Internazionale
Piazza Torricelli, 4 56126 Pisa
Dott. Mauro Mazzotta
e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.

Ultima modifica: Ven 02 Dic 2022 - 09:02

Questo sito utilizza solo cookie tecnici, propri e di terze parti, per il corretto funzionamento delle pagine web e per il miglioramento dei servizi. Se vuoi saperne di più, consulta l'informativa