Contenuto principale della pagina Menu di navigazione Modulo di ricerca su uniPi Modulo di ricerca su uniPi

Entry visa for study reasons

An entry visa is the authorization which allows you to enter Italy. After arrival, the Residence Permit ('Permesso di Soggiorno') will allow you to stay ('soggiornare').

Please be aware that two factors determine whether you need a visa:

  1. Your citizenship
  2. How long you intend to stay in Italy

People who do not have an EU-citizenship need an entry visa for Italy.

However, those intending to stay less than 90 days may be exempt if their citizenship is from a country which does not have to request a visa for short-term stays (the list of the countries is available at 
Please note that the 90 days exemption is not admitted in Italy for persons carrying out a paid activity during their stay in Italy or for a stay regarding health reasons. For all details please enquiry to the Italian Embassy/Consulate nearest to you.

If you wish to stay in Italy for a period exceeding 90 days, you are subject to a visa requirement even if you are a citizen of a country exempt from any visa requirement for transit or short stay.

There are several types of visa depending on the purpose of your trip. Visas are released by the Italian Embassy or consulates in your country of residency.

For more information:

Long-term visa for study reason - more than 90 days

If you wish to enrol in a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree programme you firstly have to register and apply on the UNIVERSITALY Portal. Register all requested data and upload the required documents, following instructions at this page.

Also if you wish to enrol in a PhD or one year Master programme you firstly have to register and apply on the UNIVERSITALY Portal. Register all requested data and upload the Admission/Acceptance Letter released by the Phd or Master Office, and all other required documents, as for instructions by the Phd/Master office.

You will receive a notice by the Universitaly web portal when your application will be validated on the web portal; you will find your digitally validated pre-enrolment request (the summary, in pdf format), by accessing with your credentials, at the bottom of your page. Please print your summery as you will need it for your VISA application. Always start these procedures well in advance of your planned visit to Italy and make sure to review the Embassy website for information before you visit the visa office.

Necessary documents to request a study visa

In order to get the study visa, you are mainly required to submit the following documents at our Embassy:

  • the summary of the pre-enrolment request on Universitaly web portal
  • entry visa application form
  • recent passport-size photo
  • passport or travel document valid for at least three months after the visa expiration date
  • proof that the applicant has adequate accommodation in Italy (confirmation that you have booked or that you already have an accommodation in Italy)
  • pre-enrolment in the degree programme to take place in Italy
  • insurance coverage for medical treatment and/or hospitalisation (please keep in mind that, after your arrival in Italy, you can do a voluntary enrolment with the Italian National Health Service, only if this is accepted by the Italian Embassy in your country)
  • proof of means of support in Italy of not less than € 460,28 for each month of the academic year. This availability can be proven through: proof of personal or family resources or guarantee of financial resources by accredited Italian institutions or agencies, local governments, or foreign institutions or agencies considered trustworthy by the Italian Diplomatic Representation.

The requirements and procedures to issue a visa are indicated in a special provision, published annually by the MIUR, in agreement with MAECI and Ministry of the Interior.

Please note: if you have a Type ‘D’ visa you must apply for the Residence Permit within 8 working days upon arrival in Italy.

For all details about obtening a visa for Italy:

Info and contacts

Ufficio per le Relazioni Internazionali
Unità Promozione Internazionale

Lungarno Pacinotti, 44 - 56126 Pisa
Dott. Mauro Mazzotta
e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.

Ultima modifica: Mer 24 Gen 2024 - 09:15

Questo sito utilizza solo cookie tecnici, propri e di terze parti, per il corretto funzionamento delle pagine web e per il miglioramento dei servizi. Se vuoi saperne di più, consulta l'informativa