Contenuto principale della pagina Menu di navigazione Modulo di ricerca su uniPi Modulo di ricerca su uniPi

Residence permit for non EU citizens

According to Italian Law (D. Lgs. 286/98) non E.U. citizens, planning to stay in Italy longer than 3 months must apply for a Residence permit within 8 working days after arrival.

(Please note, if you have a Type ‘D’ visa you must apply for the Residence Permit).


First step: in order to apply for a Residence Permit, you need Health Insurance coverage

If you do not have an Health Insurance coverage

In this case we suggest you enrol in the Italian National Health Service for the current year, which means that it only lasts until December 31st each year (it doesn’t matter when you apply) and must be renewed each calendar year. However, if you enrol in the Italian National Health Service, you will then receive the same benefits AS AN ITALIAN CITIZEN by getting the Italian health card.

You will also have the right to choose your personal medical Doctor in Pisa.

In order to apply, you will need to go to a Post Office and pay €149,77 - to be paid on the account number C/C 289504 made out to the “Regione Toscana”. Reason for payment (causale): "Contributo SSN 2022 Studente straniero".

Please keep your receipt of payment. It will be useful later for your enrollment at the local Italian Health Center.

If you already have Health Insurance coverage: 

please check its validity in Italy with the Patronato Office (third step).


Second step: the Italian tax code (codice fiscale)

We suggest that you request the official tax code at our Embassy in your Country, before your arrival in Italy. Otherwise you can have it at the Police station (Questura) after your arrival in Italy and your application for the Residence permit (in this case, please note that at least two months may be necessary). If you are already in Italy and you need the tax code (to open a bank account or else) you have to ask for an appointment at the local Italian tax authority (Agenzia delle Entrate) by phoning at 050 315471. You cannot apply for online requests, as it is necessary that you already have a tax code.

If you get an appointment, please bring your passport and a copy of it (just the pages with your personal data) to the Agenzia delle Entrate, via Matteucci 34, Galleria Gerace 7/15. To arrive to the Agenzia, if you are at the main train station, take a bus called LAM ROSSA and get off at the bus stop called “MEDIAWORLD”, which is the name of a large shop nearby the tax code office. Please note that the tax code issued by your registration at Alice (University of Pisa website) is not an official one.

Info in English at the this page.


Third step: Ask for an appointment at an Italian “Patronato” (where you will get assistance for free)

Suggested Patronato Offices:

  • Patronato INCA, viale Bonaini, 71 - 1st floor - tel 050 515217, e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.  
  • Patronato ACLI, via Francesco da Buti, 20 (near to Piazza Guerrazzi) tel. 050 913120, e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.
  • Patronato UIL, via Cisanello, 145 – tel. 050 25000, e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.
  • Patronato ENAC/CAF UCI, Via Catalani, 37 (a street off via C. Battisti), tel. 050 5205494, no appointment needed on Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 (noon) and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Please bring the following documents to the Patronato:

  1. Your passport;
  2. Italian tax code (codice fiscale);
  3. A copy of your passport (just the pages with your personal data and the one with the Visa stamp);
  4. A special stamp (marca da bollo) which costs €16,00 (which you may buy at any Tobacco Shop);
  5. The study Visa type D (on your passport) is enough to start the application for the Residence permit. Then, at the appointment with the Police, it is necessary to bring the Certificate of enrollment for the current academic year, which is released by the Students’ Office (Segreterie Studenti) or by the Phd Office (Ufficio Dottorato) if you are enrolled as phd student. If you are a temporary guest or Erasmus/exchange/visiting student, you must have an Acceptance Letter signed by your Professor Coordinator here in Pisa, proving that you are involved in a Study Project or Erasmus activity;
  6. Health insurance coverage (in case you have a foreign insurance coverage or a specific insurance policy, please check its validity in Italy with the Patronato Office);
  7. Declaration that you have a scholarship (if you have one) or bank statement (proof) that you have sufficient financial resources to guarantee your stay in Italy in your bank account (not less than €468,10 for each month).

Please note: some of these documents must be enclosed with the Application Form.


Fourth step: Go to the Main Post Office and mail the Residence Permit Application Form

(the main Post Office is in Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, near to the central train station)

Please be aware that after sending the Application Form by mail, the Post Office clerk will give you a special Receipt and a fingerprinting appointment at the Questura (Local Police Headquarters) in Via Lalli, 3.

The post office receipt, where you can find your Username and Password, is extremely important and should be kept safe as it is proves that you have applied for a Residence Permit before you actually receive one.

List of expenses when applying for the Residence Permit:

  • € 16,00 for the special stamp (marca da bollo);
  • € 30,00 for the Post Office in order to mail the Application Form;
  • € 70,46 for the application for the Residence Permit (valid for up to 1 year)

You can check the progress of your application at

At the Questura you will sign the Integration Agreement too, which is an agreement between the Italian State and a non EU/EEA citizen entering Italy for the first time. The international student is committed to meet his/her civic obligations and invited to participate in a class on Civic education, about life in Italy.

Fifth step: go to the Health District in via Garibaldi 198, where you will be able to get the health card and choose your personal doctor free of charge

Details at

Please beware that, if you arrived in Italy with a study visa, you enrolled to an Italian University and you wish to do a RINUNCIA AGLI STUDI (renunciation to your studies), in order to enroll again to the same or another Italian university, you cannot use the study Residence permit you already have and you must get a new study visa.

Info and contacts

Ufficio Relazioni Internazionali
Unità Promozione Internazionale

Piazza Torricelli, 4 56126 Pisa
Dr. Mauro Mazzotta
e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.


Ultima modifica: Ven 21 Gen 2022 - 10:39

Questo sito utilizza solo cookie tecnici, propri e di terze parti, per il corretto funzionamento delle pagine web e per il miglioramento dei servizi. Se vuoi saperne di più, consulta l'informativa