Contenuto principale della pagina Menu di navigazione Modulo di ricerca su uniPi Modulo di ricerca su uniPi

Visa and Residence Permit

Non-EU citizens are allowed into Italian territory only if they have a valid passport and an entry visa.
For any stay longer than 90 days, non-EU students must have a visa obtained from the Italian embassy or consulate from the country of residence.

If you are an incoming EU Erasmus student, please review the following link.

If instead you are an incoming Non-EU Erasmus or Exchange student, enrolled in a university degree, who has a valid residence permit and visa for STUDY reasons which has been issued by the European Schengen country where you are enrolled, then you may be allowed to enter Italy for a stay longer than 90 days without an Italian visa as long as the following applies:

a) you are currently participating in a European exchange programme (Erasmus or else);

b) you already have the documentation which comes from the University of the EU country in which you are studying, and it is clearly stated that the new study programme which you intend to do in Italy is in addition to the study programme you have already done in the EU Country;

c) your Schengen residency permit and/or visa, issued by the European Schengen country where you are enrolled, is valid for the duration of your stay in Italy.

Please note that non-EU Erasmus students who come from Schengen countries can only be exempt from an Italian entry visa.

Non-EU Erasmus students, within the first 8 working days after arrival, must go to the Questura (Police Headquarters), located in Via Lalli 3, and fill in the “dichiarazione di presenza” (declaration of presence). General information is available at where the students can see the form to be filled in too.

To fill the Dichiarazione di presenza is compulsory to have the entry stamp that you get on your passport when you arrive at the italian airport and come in through the No Schengen gate. Please use that gate even if you are coming from a Schengen Country, because you are non Eu and you need the entry stamp.
If you do not have the entry stamp, you will have to apply for the residence permit, unless the police officer will accept your travel ticket

For any doubts, please contact the Italian Embassy/Consulate in the country where you reside/study.

At the Italian Embassy/Consulate you will be able to have the Italian personal tax code (codice fiscale), a code which consists of letters and numbers and that uniquely identifies the subjects within the Italian State, in particular regarding tax and administrative matters. It is necessary to have a tax code in order to access the services of public entities (e.g.: to enroll at the University and the National Health Service), to enter into a contract (e.g.: employment or rent), to open a bank account, but also to buy a phone card.

Finally, if you are an incoming Non-EU Erasmus or Exchange student, coming from a Non-Schengen country:

    • for a stay in Italy longer than 90 days according to your Learning Agreement, in order to get an entry VISA, you firstly have to register and apply on the UNIVERSITALY Portal.
      Register all requested data, select the option “mobility for study/traineeship (e.g. Erasmus)“ and upload the Acceptance letter received from your Department Erasmus Coordinator in Pisa and the Learning Agreement (leave blank the tax code if you do not have it and the ID account at the chosen University).
      Your application on Universitaly portal will be checked by the University of Pisa and then by the Italian Embassy/Consulate you indicated so you will be able to apply for the Italian Visa.
      You will receive a notice by the Universitaly portal when we will validate your application and you will find the Summary in pdf of your application on the portal, by using your credentials.
      Please print the Summary, as you need it when you will apply for the visa at our Embassy.
      For general information about requesting an entry visa, please visit the related link.
      For all details please contact the Italian Embassy/Consulate in your Country of residence. Once you arrive in Italy, you must apply for the Residence Permit;

    • for a maximum stay of 90 days, please check the list of countries whose citizens are exempt from the visa requirement.

More details are available at:


Info and Contacts:

Dott. Mauro Mazzotta
International Office
University of Pisa
Piazza Torricelli, 4 - 56126 Pisa
e-mail: Questo indirizzo email è protetto dagli spambots. È necessario abilitare JavaScript per vederlo.

Ultima modifica: Gio 14 Mar 2024 - 13:56

Questo sito utilizza solo cookie tecnici, propri e di terze parti, per il corretto funzionamento delle pagine web e per il miglioramento dei servizi. Se vuoi saperne di più, consulta l'informativa