Starting in 2002 the University of Pisa established the rules for acknowledging academic spin-offs spurring from the innovative researches conducted in its research laboratories. Companies that originated from the University prior to this date were not officially recognized by the University and therefore remain unaccounted for.
Highlights at 31st December 2014:
- 42 acknowledged companies over 57 examined starting from 2002 (on average 3 spin-offs per year)
- 30 companies currently acknowledged, of which 17 starting from 2011 (on average 4 spin-offs per year)
- 12.5 Million euro of total sales (2013)
- 2 companies with sales 2012 higher than 1 Million euro, among these Tea Sistemi S.p.A. that invoiced around 5 Million euro.
- 45 prizes won by currently acknowledged spin-offs
- 11 Spin-offs coming from the PhDplus course